D.O. Sportscast: men’s lacrosse beat writers preview Tuesday’s match-up with Cornell

first_img Published on April 8, 2019 at 11:15 pm The No. 9 men’s lacrosse team (6-3, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) will face No. 8 Cornell (7-3, 2-2 Ivy League) on Tuesday in the Carrier Dome. The game will contain a match-up between Jeff Teat, Cornell’s top point-getter and the ninth best in the country, and Nick Mellen, Syracuse’s defensive leader.Our beat writers share their predictions for the game and talk about the implications it has on Syracuse’s NCAA Tournament chances.Listen here: Commentscenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Read More »

Umpire Davis was drunk on eve of Durban Test: SA players

first_imgSouth African cricketers have alleged that they spotted umpire Steve Davis drunk on the eve of India’s series-levelling Durban Test and are now mulling lodging a complaint against the Australian who made two howlers during the second Test.The Proteas reportedly saw the 58-year-old umpire “in a drunken condition” at the Umhlanga hotel where both teams and match officials had stayed during the Durban Test.Sources in the Proteas camp, on condition of anonymity, told the Afrikaans daily Beeld that Davis was regularly seen in a particular bar over the past week. They said he was also seen stumbling into the Sandton hotel in the early hours of the morning during the first Test in Centurion last week.Proteas team manager, Mohammed Moosajee, referred the daily’s query to Vincent van der Bijl, head of the ICC referees Panel, who said he was aware of the “stunning” allegations but declined to comment on whether Davis would face any disciplinary action.”There are established procedures to be followed and (any action) can only occur as soon as we receive an official complaint,” Van der Bijl said.Davis, along with his Pakistani colleague, Asad Rauf, committed quite a few umpiring blunders during the second Test, with lbw decisions involving de Villiers and Mark Boucher being the most important ones.During India’s second innings, Davis turned down a confident lbw shout from the South Africans off Dale Steyn’s bowling but TV replays later showed that he was wrong.Zaheer then went to add crucial 70 runs for the eighth wicket with VVS Laxman after India were tottering at 148 for seven at one stage in their second innings.advertisementIf that was not enough, during South Africa’s chase of 303 runs, the Australian came up with another shocker and gave Boucher out lbw to Zaheer but replays showed the ball was missing off stump.Durban win proved India aren”t dependant on Sachin only: AkramIn New Delhi, the series-levelling victory over South Africa in the second Test in Duban proves that India are no longer a one-man team and can win matches without champion batsman Sachin Tendulkar’s contribution, feels former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram.After losing the series opener in Centurion by an innings and 25 runs, India came back strongly to beat South Africa by 87 runs in the second Test at Kingsmead yesterday.”Even on a wicket like Durban, India performed exceptionally well. The team played like a unit. It’s a team that does not rely on the services of one particular player. I remember, in our times, it was Sachin Tendulkar all the time.”Ten years back whenever we would get Sachin out, it was all over for India. But now, the scenario is different. The opposition team has to make sure that they get all the batsmen before breathing easy,” Akram said.England can beat India “every day of week”: GoughIn London, in what could raise the hackles of the Indians, former England fast bowler Darren Gough on Thursday said that Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s men are champions only at home and England can beat them “every day of the week”.Gough said England were the best team in the world at the moment after their innings drubbing of Australia in the fourth Ashes Test, and India’s performance in South Africa have nothing much to write about.”For me, we’re the best team in the world at this moment. I’ve watched the South Africa-India series and I see nothing to worry about. India are fantastic in their own country and have some great individuals but I’d fancy this England side to beat them every day of the week,” Gough said.With inputs from PTIlast_img read more

Read More »

LaFave part of bipartisan plan to improve the states unemployment system

first_img Categories: LaFave News State Rep. Beau LaFave, of Iron Mountain, today introduced a bill in a bipartisan plan to fix Michigan’s Unemployment Insurance Agency.The legislation is based on findings of a workgroup consisting of industry experts and legislators. The plan will provide clarity, restore integrity and improve accountability within the agency and address the faults of the unemployment system.“It is obvious the current state of the unemployment system is flawed,” LaFave said. “Both sides of the aisle agreed something must be done to make sure reforms are made to fix the system.”The proposal will adjust interest owed by claimants in overpayment situations. There will be no interest if overpayment is due to agency error, and 1 percent interest accrued after one year if due to claimant error.“No one should be punished for a state agency’s failure,” LaFave said. “Our plan gives breathing room to those who have been overpaid due to the agency’s error by eliminating interest on payments.”The plan will address identity theft claims by creating a “watchdog” position to investigate fraud and make recommendations to improve the system. The legislation also will require claimants to submit more proof in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits and maintains the nation’s toughest penalties on fraud.The legislation also:Gives those accused of fraud access to an advocacy program;Allows the agency to reopen a fraud case within three years with good cause;Improves the process for determining the validity of an unemployment claim; andClarifies the eligibility for hardship waivers and the agency’s process for ruling on applications for a waiver. 19Oct LaFave part of bipartisan plan to improve the state’s unemployment systemlast_img read more

Read More »

Liberty Global president and CEO Mike Fries will t

first_imgLiberty Global president and CEO Mike Fries will take part in the forthcoming ANGA COM TV Summit, which takes place in Cologne from June 4-6.Fries will take part in the TV Summit, which will focus on the topic “Networks and Content: Who pays the Bill?” alongside Karola Wille, chairwoman, Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk, Conrad Albert, managing board, ProSiebenSat.1 Media, Andreas Bereczky, director, production, ZDF, Adrian von Hammerstein, CEO, Kabel Deutschland, Dietmar Schickel, managing director, Tele Columbus, and Brian Sullivan, CEO, Sky Deutschland.last_img read more

Read More »

Peertopeer technology company BitTorrent has ann

first_imgPeer-to-peer technology company BitTorrent has announced plans to ‘tokenise’ its Windows-based µTorrent Classic client in a bid to improve network speed.The new token, which will also be called BitTorrent (BTT), will be issued by the BitTorrent foundation in a move designed to increase the overall speed of torrents. Users will be able to exchange tokens to get faster downloads.TRON, the blockchain company that acquired BitTorrent in July 2018, said that the token will help to expand its vision of a “decentralised internet” and that BTT will first be implemented first in µTorrent Classic.“BitTorrent token is the first in a series of steps to support a decentralised internet,” said Justin Sun, founder of TRON and CEO of BitTorrent.“In one giant leap, the BitTorrent client can introduce blockchain to hundreds of millions of users around the world and empower a new generation of content creators with the tools to distribute their content directly to others on the web.”TRON and BitTorrent plan to provide more details about BitTorrent token at its niTROn Summit on January 17–18 in San Francisco.last_img read more

Read More »

Cable fixed telecom and mobile operator Liberty L

first_imgCable, fixed telecom and mobile operator Liberty Latin America has terminated its talks with regional telco Millicom about a potential purchase of the operator.In a brief statement, Liberty Latin America said it “remains focused on its growth strategy to deliver value for shareholders and provide market leading products and services to its customers”.Millicom said that the preliminary discussions had been terminated by Liberty “without an offer being made”.The announcement comes barely a week after Millicom revealed that it had been approached by the John Malone-backed Liberty Latin America about a potential acquisition of 100% of its shares.Bloomberg reported yesterday that Liberty was struggling to win over Millicom management over support for a bid that valued the company at about US$7.6 billion, citing unnamed sources.According to Bloomberg, Liberty and Millicom executives were scheduled to meet in the coming days to discuss a half-cash, half stock offer that valued the Stockholm-listed Millicom at SEK710 a share. The report said that leading Millicom shareholder Kinnevik supported the proposal but company management were reluctant to support it, preferring to hold out for a higher bid and a bigger cash element.Bloomberg also reported that Millicom management were concerned about Liberty’s high level of debt and the downward direction of travel of the company’s stock price.Millicom operates subsidiaries and JVs providing mobile services to about 51 million customers, with a cable footprint of about nine million homes, while Liberty Latin America operates in 21 consumer markets and 30 B2B markets, with 5.3 million revenue generating units based on 6.6 million homes passed with its fixed network and 3.5 million mobile customers.A combination of the pair would have created one of the largest telcos in Latin America, with the ability to compete with the likes of América Móvil and Telefónica.In other Lat Am telco news, Telefónica has told Spanish regulator the CNMV that it is in talks around the sale of its central American assets, potentially resulting in the total or partial sale of its units in the region.According to Spanish financial daily Expansión, Telefónica is close to agreeing a sale of its units in El Salvador and Guatemala to América Móvil, while a sale of its Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama operations likely to follow later, with Millicom identified as the most likely buyer.last_img read more

Read More »