Garda file almost ready in Denis Donaldson murder probe

first_img Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this week Facebook Facebook Pinterest Pinterest Twitter Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published A garda file is almost ready for presentation to the Director of Public Prosecutions on the murder of Republican double agent Denis Donaldson.Garda Superintendent Michael Finan, who is head of the Glenties Garda District, told an inquest that he expects the DPP to decide within six months if he has enough evidence to prosecute.The Superintendent was applying in Letterkenny for one more adjournment of the inquest into Donaldson’s death..He said a file will be submitted to the DPP and six months should be adequate time for him to come reach a decisionDonaldson, 56, was murdered in his remote home at Classey, Cloghercor, near Glenties, Co. Donegal on April 4th 2006.Donaldson, a senior Sinn Fein figure who headed his party’s support team at Stormont and who had been operating as a British spy for 20 years, was shot four times in the chest, face, arm and hand in a cottage eight kilometres from Glenties.The inquest has now been adjourned by coroner Dr Denis McCauley eight times.But today he said that as the garda criminal investigation was “active” he had no alternative but to adjourn it one more time.He said it was reassuring the investigation was still happening and he would prefer if there was a prosecution.The coroner said next time, if the DPP decides not to bring prosecutions, he will accelerate the inquest proceedings and seek documentation, including witness depositions.Ciaran Shiels, solicitor for the Donaldson family, said there had been a couple of arrests but so far there didn’t appear to have been enough evidence to bring charges or prosecute.Stephen Byrne, counsel for the Garda Commissioner, warned that Mr Shiels should be careful how he commented when referring to a Garda criminal investigation.He added that that it was a sensitive investigation into an unfortunate death.The inquest was adjourned until April 26, 2112, with the coroner advising of his intention to accelerate his inquiry if the DPP decides against a prosecution Newsx Adverts WhatsApp By News Highland – November 4, 2011 center_img Google+ Previous articleJudgement reserved in Donegal murder trialNext articleLetterkenny proposed as location for county’s first renewable energy centre News Highland WhatsApp Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Garda file almost ready in Denis Donaldson murder probe Twitter LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton Three factors driving Donegal housing market – Robinson Business Matters Ep 45 – Boyd Robinson, Annette Houston & Michael Margeylast_img read more

Read More »

Fugitive Djoko Tjandra returns, files case review without AGO’s knowledge

first_imgThe AGO has been hunting for Djoko for years – but to no avail. Burhanuddin said he had previously received information that Djoko had been spotted in Malaysia and Singapore.Burhanuddin said he had instructed his officers to immediately arrest Djoko as he was expecting him to come to the hearing on Monday. “We’ve been looking for him for three days, but we haven’t found him yet.”Read also: President weighs in on Djoko Tjandra sagaDjoko was involved in the Bank Bali scandal, which saw hundreds of billions of rupiah embezzled from state bailout funds for the 1998 Asian financial crisis. He was acquitted in 2000 but later convicted in 2009 after the AGO filed a request for review.The Supreme Court convicted both Djoko and former Bank Indonesia governor Syahril Sabirin and sentenced them to two years’ imprisonment each for misusing Bank Indonesia Liquidity Support (BLBI) funds in the case. The court ordered Djoko to pay Rp 546 billion (US$54 million) in restitution to the state for illegally disbursing the funds to the bank in 1999.Djoko, however, fled Indonesia on a chartered flight from Halim Perdanakusumah Airport in Jakarta to Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea (PNG) on June 10, 2009, just a day before the Supreme Court issued its verdict on the AGO’s request for review.Then-PNG Ambassador to Indonesia Peter Ilau confirmed on July 12, 2009, that Djoko had obtained PNG citizenship.The AGO suspected that Djoko had falsified legal documents when applying for PNG citizenship, as Djoko was a fugitive and would have concealed information during his application process.Indonesia has no extradition treaty with PNG.South Jakarta District Court spokesperson Suharno confirmed to kompas.com that Djoko had not attended the hearing on Monday. He had reportedly claimed to be sick.Topics : Burhanuddin said the office had not received any information about Djoko’s arrival in the country before learning that he had come to the South Jakarta District Court on June 8 to file his case review.He said Djoko had reportedly been in Indonesia for the past three months.”Honestly, this is a result our intelligence weaknesses. That’s the fact. I asked the court, and they said [the case review] was filed through an integrated service that had no identity control,” he said in the hearing.He said the AGO would discuss the issue with the Immigration Office to establish the details of the graft convict’s arrival in Indonesia. Burhanuddin believed that Djoko should not have been able to enter the country freely because of his status as a fugitive. Djoko Soegiarto Tjandra, a fugitive in the high-profile Bank Bali corruption case, returned to the country and filed a case review against his conviction with the South Jakarta District Court in early June, the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) has said.The graft convict was scheduled to attend his own case review submission hearing at the court on Monday, Attorney General ST Burhanuddin said. Djoko did not appear.Burhanuddin told members of House of Representatives Commission III overseeing legal affairs in a hearing on Monday that the AGO was tracking down the fugitive.last_img read more

Read More »

Reds close in on Herrera deal

first_img Reports have suggested United are set to pay around £30million for the 24-year-old Spaniard, who they tried to recruit last summer, before his fee rises at the end of this month due to the terms of his contract. And it is understood the deal could be wrapped up in the next few days. Manchester United are close to signing Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera, Press Association Sport understands. Press Associationcenter_img Herrera would become the first new signing United have made since they confirmed Dutchman Louis van Gaal – currently in charge of the Holland national team at the World Cup – as the permanent successor to sacked manager David Moyes in May. Moyes’ attempts to secure Herrera’s services for the Red Devils last summer descended into farce on transfer deadline day. Reports emerged of three people, said to be representing United, managing to get into Spanish league headquarters for discussions about the proposed switch and then leaving an hour later, apparently unable to complete the paperwork required to finalise the deal. It subsequently transpired that United, who dealt directly with Athletic, knew nothing of the trio’s existence. Negotiations between the two clubs collapsed anyway, with Moyes believing the buy-out clause in Herrera’s contract was too high. Just under a year later, though, it seems talks have been revived and are set for a swift conclusion. Herrera, who played for Real Zaragoza prior to joining Bilbao in 2011, has been capped for Spain at under-21 level and also represented his country at the London 2012 Olympics. last_img read more

Read More »