Spurs in talks over Bale contract

first_imgTottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has revealed there are ongoing talks with Gareth Bale’s agent regarding a new contract for the Wales international as they attempt to fend off interest from Real Madrid. The Portuguese said: “There was contact between the club and his agent last year and there is ongoing contact between the club and his agent. “We renewed his contract at the beginning of last season, if you remember, and it’s something that is being dealt with by the chairman and the agent. “Talks are ongoing but that doesn’t mean there is an agreement. At the moment we’re confident that the player is under contract at Tottenham, as was done last year. “It’s something that we’re speaking about, but there aren’t any developments.” Villas-Boas also reiterated his admiration for Valencia striker Roberto Soldado despite Spurs’ director of football Franco Baldini failing to agree a fee with the Primera Division club for the Spain international on a recent visit to Spain. The former Chelsea and Porto boss said: “There is interest in the player, no matter what happened in the last couple of days. “He is a quality player, he has done well at Valencia for the last few seasons. “He has had a good education from the Real Madrid school and he is a player which we are interested in adding.” Soldado joined Valencia from Getafe in 2010 and scored 24 goals for Los Che in the Primera Division last season. Press Associationcenter_img Bale has been heavily linked with a move to the Bernabeu this summer with reports in Spain earlier this week suggesting the player has already agreed terms on a six-year deal. But, speaking at the Barclays Asia Trophy in Hong Kong, Villas-Boas was optimistic the 24-year-old, who is currently contracted until 2016, will extend his stay at White Hart Lane. last_img read more

Read More »

Sixth Annual Courts Pee-Wee Football launched

first_img… Tournament expanded to 32 teamsTHE calls for the expansion of the Petra-organised COURTS Pee-Wee/Banks Malta Supreme Under-11 football tournament were heard and employed when the sixth edition was launched yesterday.The tournament, set to begin on September 30, will see 32 teams compete in groups of six for the coveted trophy.The top two teams from each group after the round-robin stage will advance to the round of 16.According to co-Director of the Petra organisation, Troy Mendonca, the body is happy to be associated with the tournament throughout every tier of schools football.“We are trying to spread our wings with our sponsors to try to include as many places as possible, and try to do the tournament countrywide,” he stated.This hearted the corporate sponsor, Courts Guyana Inc., which plugged $4.1M into the sixth edition, according to Chief Financial Officer, Neil Boucher.Marketing Director Pernell Cummings stated that the tournament has brought to the fore several players who are now regular features of various national teams.“This tournament over the years has produced many footballers, and recently we saw Messi (Martin King), who about two years ago was exciting on the field, go to Barcelona for a camp there.”Banks DIH Malta Supreme brand manager Clayton McKenzie stated that the company is always pleased to support grassroots football as it is essential in promoting sport development.GFF president Wayne Forde also lauded the expansion initiative saying that “the GFF cannot singe-handedly develop football. We call on our stakeholders and members to do this. The expansion of the tournament speaks to Petra and others pushing boundaries.Making brief remarks was Nicholas Fraser, Head of Department of Physical Education.Defending champions St Agnes Primary join Marian Academy, New Comenius, West Ruimveldt, St Margaret’s, Tucville, South Ruimveldt, North Georgetown, Ketley, St Gabriel’s, F.E. Pollard, Enterprise, St Pius, Sophia, Winfer Gardens, Smith Memorial, East La Penitence, St Angela’s, St Ambrose, St Stephen’s, Stella Maris, J.E. Burnham, School of the Nations and Rama Krishna.The remaining eight schools will be named shortly before the seven-week tournament begins.last_img read more

Read More »

Students named finalists in sustainability challenge

first_imgUSC Marshall School of Business students Suzana Amoes, Ryan Alam and Megan Strawther were named one of the top 10 finalists of the Morgan Stanley Sustainable Investing Challenge.The challenge aims to use finance and investment tools to address a current environmental or social problem, and provides competitive financial returns to graduate school students all over the world. Amoes, Alam and Strawther are excited for their final pitch in Hong Kong, which will take place on April 15.This year, more than 340 students from 64 schools in 21 different countries submitted pitches for the competition.Amoes, Alam and Strawther focused on the revitalization of land usage and productivity by eradicating landmines and creating a new class of smallholder farmers in Angola. The group named their project “Terra Limpa,” meaning clean earth in Portuguese.The idea behind the pitch, according to Strawther, was to focus on addressing the issue of landmines, which cripple agriculture in Angola and prevent revival of the economy.“The majority of Angola being covered in landmines is behind the lag in the country’s agricultural sector,” Strawther said. “Angola is so dependent on oil exports that there is a need to diversify the market to include agriculture.”Strawther explained that the proposal is currently focused on providing aid to around 5,500 hectares of land, targeting three different provinces in Angola which are suitable for agriculture but are hindered by the presence of landmines. The concept of the pitch focuses on giving people more land and converting it to a productive asset, thereby adding to the nation’s economy.“There is a [large] amount of research to be done on the pitch to explore the situation in Angola,” Alam said.According to Alam, Amoes will visit Angola to research the landmine issue and participate in talks with the chief of the Angolan Military, the Ministry of Agriculture and local farmers. She is also researching landmines for her thesis paper and hopes to contribute her results to the pitch, according to Alam.The three students expressed gratitude to the contest for exposing them to an array of new knowledge in agriculture and successfully fusing their business ideas to make an impact. They also attribute part of their success to their mentor Nicole Chavas, who was a previous winner of the challenge, as well as USC professors Adlai Wertman, director of the Brittingham Social Enterprise Lab, and Fran Seegull, an adjunct professor at the USC Marshall School of Business.“At last, it’s the opportunity for the system to change and for us to change the way people think about it.” Alam said.last_img read more

Read More »