Leading weekly’s website blocked for past six days

first_img Receive email alerts News Follow the news on Ethiopia Organisation RSF_en Reporters Without Borders is very worried to learn that access to the Amharic website of Ethiopia’s leading independent, privately-owned weekly, The Reporter, has been blocked for the past five days. No one has been able to access the site from within Ethiopia since around 4:30 p.m. on 21 April unless they use a proxy server.The reason for the blocking is unclear and Reporters Without Borders urges the authorities to provide an explanation. “Everything indicates that the blocking is being carried by the state-owned company Ethio-Telecom, since it is Ethiopia’s only Internet Service Provider,” the press freedom organization said.Media Communication Centre (MCC), the company that publishes The Reporter, has asked Ethio-Telecom for an explanation but has not yet received a response.“Website blocking is not new in Ethiopia but a leading independent newspaper’s site has never previously been affected,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Tests carried out by the OpenNet Initiative in 2008 and 2009 showed that certain outspoken or opposition sites based abroad were the target of filtering, but this is the first time a newspaper such as The Reporter has been targeted.”The Reporter’s site normally has upward of 30,000 visitors a day, more than five times the number of readers of the print version. “Has The Reporter’s site been blocked to prevent the dissemination of sensitive articles,” Reporters Without Borders asked.Reporters Without Borders urges the authorities to restore access to the site for Ethiopian Internet users and reiterates its opposition to the filtering and blocking of online content.Its view is shared by of the United Nations special rapporteur for freedom of opinion and expression, Frank La Rue, who recommended in a June 2011 report that the flow of information online should be restricted to “few, exceptional, and limited circumstances prescribed by international human rights law.” He also said “the right to freedom of expression must be the norm, and any limitation considered as an exception.” EthiopiaAfrica Journalist attacked, threatened in her Addis Ababa home EthiopiaAfrica May 21, 2021 Find out more Ethiopia arbitrarily suspends New York Times reporter’s accreditationcenter_img News News RSF condemns NYT reporter’s unprecedented expulsion from Ethiopia News April 26, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Leading weekly’s website blocked for past six days Help by sharing this information to go further May 18, 2021 Find out more February 10, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More »

“Tank Man” photo displayed outside Chinese embassy in Paris on eve of Tiananmen Square massacre

first_imgNews RSF_en China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures Franklin, who works for the Magnum agency, watched today in Paris as the blown-up versions of his photo were driven around the city. June 3, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 “Tank Man” photo displayed outside Chinese embassy in Paris on eve of Tiananmen Square massacre Embedded video from CNN VideoAt the same time, around ten dissidents have been prevented from leaving their homes or getting in contact with foreign journalists. Bao Tong, a former Communist Party official who was purged for sympathising with the pro-democracy student movement, was escorted by police to the south of the country. Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes Reporters Without Borders has received a list of websites – social networking sites, chat forums and blog platforms – that are currently blocked by the authorities. They include such Chinese sites as Fanfou.com, Verycd.com, Xiaonei.com and Wordku.com. When Internet users try to access them, they get a message saying they are down for “maintenance.”The list. Access to international websites such as those of the BBC, TV5 Monde and CNN, which have been showing photos and videos of the June 1989 events, has also suddenly been blocked in China, while pages containing articles on the subject have been removed from imported newspapers. Reporters Without Borders also took part in a vigil in Paris today in honour of the victims of the massacre. It was held at the Human Rights Esplanade, across the River Seine from the Eiffel Tower. According to the Foreign Correspondents Club of China (FCCC), at least four TV crews have been detained by police for trying to film in Tiananmen Square. Police surrounded another TV crew near Beijing University. Several Chinese fixers working for foreign news media have been questioned by the Public Security Bureau. The details of these incidents. Organisation ChinaAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information ChinaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on China Meanwhile, the security forces in Beijing today prevented journalists from visiting Tiananmen Square. Thousands of policemen and soldiers were deployed around the vast square, where Mao Zedong’s mausoleum is located. News News to go further June 2, 2021 Find out more China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Receive email alerts The photo, showing a man stopping the advance of a column of tanks in Beijing, symbolises resistance to oppression. Like all photos and reports about the June 1989 pro-democracy movement, it is banned in China.Tiananmen : 20 ansenvoyé par rsf_internet. – L’info video en direct.“Human rights organisations have a duty to pay tribute to the victims of the ruthless crackdown of 4 June 1989 and to those in China who continue to honour their memory despite all the censorship and harassment,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Tens of thousands of Parisians have seen this emblematic photo today even if it is banned in Beijing. We again urge the Beijing authorities to allow the press to talk to the pro-democracy movements.” April 27, 2021 Find out more Amid a wave of censorship measures in China aimed at suppressing information about the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, Reporters Without Borders today arranged for three publicity trucks displaying Stuart Franklin’s famous photograph of the “Tank Man” to drive around Paris and pause outside the Chinese embassy. News March 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More »

Mouse problems highlighted by HSE

first_imgMouse problems highlighted by HSEOn 1 Jan 2003 in Musculoskeletal disorders, Personnel Today Comments are closed. Previous Article Next Article Related posts:No related photos. Research to help reduce the incidence and number of working days lost tomusculoskeletal disorders among computer users has been published by the Healthand Safety Executive. Scientists at the universities of Surrey and Loughborough examined the useof different types of non-keyboard input devices (NKID), such as mouse,trackball and touchscreen, and the problems associated with using them. They found that, although many alternatives are available, the mouse is byfar the most commonly used device. However, most of those polled had received no training or informationspecific to the safe use of NKIDs and a large number of users worked forprolonged periods without a break, despite most having some discretion overthis. Pain or discomfort related to use of NKIDs was reported by about one infive, with problems ranging from unsuitable design (shape and size), jitterymovements and complex controls, to insufficient desk space and lack of cleaningor maintenance. Supporting the arm while using a mouse was the best way of avoiding problemsand curved (L-shaped) desks were rated as the most comfortable. Malcolm Darvill, head of ergonomics policy at the HSE, said the HSE woulduse the research to produce revised guidance next February. “This will help employers comply with the law by giving specificpractical advice on how to work comfortably with a mouse or other NKID,”he said. last_img read more

Read More »