Gov’t to Target High-Risk HIV Groups

first_imgAn inter-ministerial group is to be established to engage various at-risk groups on HIV/AIDS awareness matters.Cabinet has given instructions for the setting-up of the group, which will involve the Ministries of Health, Education, and Youth and Culture.Minister with responsibility for Information, Senator the Hon. Sandrea Falconer, who provided details at Wednesday’s (July 3) weekly Jamaica House press briefing at the Office of the Prime Minister, said the move stems from a recent update on HIV/AIDS in Jamaica.The report revealed that HIV is prevalent among select groups of the population, including the 15 to 49 age group; ante-natal clinic attendees; female sex workers; men who have sex with men; inmates; homeless persons; and drug users.Senator Falconer said Cabinet was told that factors driving the epidemic include: persons having multiple sex partners; insufficient condom use; people with HIV who do not know they are infected; early initiation of sexual activity; and transactional sex (exchanging sexfor gifts or goods).Meanwhile, Cabinet approved two contracts valued a little over US$2 million, for the supply of anti-retroviral drugs. One contract is to be awarded to Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited (United States) to provide nine items for US$740,042; while Milan Laboratories Limited (India) will also supply nine items for US$1.45 million.The Ministry of Health, through a grant from the Global Fund, provides anti-retroviral drugs, free of cost, for persons living with HIV/AIDS, at public health facilities and treatment centres islandwide.Contact: Alphea Saunderslast_img read more

Read More »

First private nonmedical store starts renovations in FSJ

first_imgThe three partners Aaron Lepine, Darwin Lepine (better known in the community as Danny) and Lori Bahm are all longtime Fort St John residents. “We look forward to not only providing a safe and legal cannabis source but also to providing much-needed employment opportunities to local residents,” Lepine.Lepine shares, they have been busy getting the store ready and the opening date will be announced soon.With retailers already opening their doors in Pouce Coupe, Tumbler Ridge and Dawson Creek there has been much anticipation in Fort St. John to do the same. The retail store is located at #2 – 10108 100 Street, in the location of the old Playtime Toys. The hours of operation will be 9:00 am to 11:00 pm, seven days per week.“It has been a long-drawn-out process fraught with inequities but we finally can see some light at the end of the tunnel,” said Lepine. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Cannabis Corner has started renovations for its non-medical cannabis retail store.Danny Lepine one of the three partners of Cannabis Corner shares, they received the provincial license last week.last_img read more

Read More »

Exclusion from draft NRC wont affect voting rights for LS polls

first_imgNew Delhi: Allaying the fears of over 40 lakh persons whose names were not included in the draft Assam NRC, the Election Commission of India (ECI) on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that exclusion will not affect their voting rights in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls provided their names feature in the electoral rolls.The top court asked the ECI to clarify what action it will take if a person’s name is not included in the final Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) to be published on July 31, but it features in the electoral rolls. A bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justices Deepak Gupta and Sanjiv Khana asked the ECI to provide it with the data by March 28 about the addition and deletion of names from voters’ list as revised in January for 2017, 2018 and 2019. At the outset, the bench asked the ECI secretary, who had been summoned by the court, what will be the status of the persons whose names do not feature in the draft NRC but feature in the electoral rolls. On March 8, the apex court had asked the poll panel secretary to appear before it for Tuesday’s hearing in connection with a PIL alleging that several categories of persons in Assam have been deprived of voting rights ahead of the Lok Sabha polls. The secretary replied that exclusion will not have any bearing on the voting rights of such individuals. Senior advocate Vikas Singh, appearing for the ECI, said it had already been stated this in 2014. He pointed out that the court should not entertain this petition filed by Gopal Seth and Susanta Sen, residents of Assam, as contrary to their claims, their names were never deleted from the electoral rolls in the past three years. The bench said it would further hear the matter on March 28. The apex court had sought personal appearance of the ECI secretary as, despite a notice being issued on February 1, no one had appeared to represent the poll panel. The PIL alleged that a category of persons whose names were deleted from the voter list included some whose names appeared in the draft NRC published on July 30, 2018. The petition claimed these people had voted in the last Lok Sabha election. The plea also submitted that there was a second category of people whose names were not included in the complete draft NRC, but they subsequently filed claims for inclusion of their names in it. They had voted in the previous Lok Sabha elections and were waiting for the inclusion of their names in the voters’ list. The third category of people included those who have been declared as foreigners by the foreigners’ tribunal as well as the Guwahati High Court. The court’s order was stayed by the apex court. The fourth category of people comprised those who had already been declared foreigners by the foreigners’ tribunal and such declarations were set aside by the apex court.last_img read more

Read More »

Listen To Hot Takedown Our Sports Podcast Pilot

Some of what we mentioned on this week’s show:Benjamin Morris breaks down Pete Carroll’s call.Nate Silver: Are the Patriots the greatest dynasty ever?Did the Hawks put together the greatest month in NBA history?Grantland’s ode to Atlanta Hawks forward Al Horford.(This is part of the prelaunch experimentation for the FiveThirtyEight podcast. We’ll be posting audio of different kinds on SoundCloud and then launching the actual podcast this spring. Stay tuned! And let us know what you think by tweeting our podcast producer/host, @jodyavirgan, or emailing us.) By Jody Avirgan More: Apple Podcasts | ESPN App | RSS Loyal FiveThirtyEight readers: This week we recorded a trial run of our new sports podcast “Hot Takedown,” and we’re eager for you to take a listen. We’re trying to add a little data perspective to the major storylines — and arguments — of the week.This episode, editor Chadwick Matlin, sportswriter Neil Paine and visual journalist Allison McCann discuss the Super Bowl and winning streaks in the NBA. FiveThirtyEight’s Reuben Fischer-Baum also stops by to provide this week’s “significant digit” — a historically bad free-throw performance in Brooklyn.Take a listen or download it below. read more

Read More »

Commentary Battle of Ohio splits Ohio State students

Cleveland Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer (6) attempts a pass in the second quarter against the Minnesota Vikings. The Cleveland Browns defeated the Minnesota Vikings, 31-27, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Sunday, September 22, 2013. Credit: Courtesy of MCTOn Sunday afternoons on Ohio State’s campus during the fall, chances are that plenty of people will be wearing brown and orange in support of their favorite NFL team.The Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Bengals play each other twice every year in a rivalry known as the “Battle of Ohio.”  Columbus is located roughly between the two cities, 127 miles southwest of Cleveland and 97 miles northeast of Cincinnati.The “Battle of Ohio” began in 1970 after the AFL/NFL merger and the two teams have played 79 times. The Bengals lead the series, 42-37.The Bengals have held an advantage since the new Browns franchise joined the NFL in 1999, after the original franchise relocated to Baltimore.  The Bengals have won 18 of 28 games in this time span, giving Cincinnati fans reasons to brag to Clevelanders.Last season, the Bengals finished 10-6 with a spot in the playoffs while the Browns finished 5-11, a typical record for the team in recent years.The histories of these two teams are very closely related. The Browns were formed in 1946 and named after their first head coach, Paul Brown.  Brown, who was the head coach at Ohio State for three seasons, including their 1942 National Championship year, continued his success as he led the Browns to seven league championships in their first 10 seasons.Brown’s time in Cleveland came to an unexpected end when he was fired by the new owner Art Modell in 1963.  He wasted no time returning to football, and joined the newly-formed Cincinnati Bengals as their first head coach in 1968, bringing many of his own traditions, such as similar uniforms of dark brown jerseys and orange helmets as well as tactics like the two-minute drill and player intelligence tests that he created in Cleveland.The rivalry has been very tense for players and fans both on and off the field. An example of this was during a game between the Bengals and Seattle Seahawks in 1989 when Bengal fans threw snowballs at Seahawk players, prompting Cincinnati coach Sam Wyche to grab a microphone and say, “Will the next person who sees anyone throw anything on the field point them out, so we can get them out of here! You don’t live in Cleveland; you live in Cincinnati!” Cleveland fans took this shot personally, and the next time the Bengals played in Cleveland, Wyche was booed by Browns fans.Both teams have had successes and failures, and the number of fans supporting either one may depend on who is having the better season.The “Battle of Ohio” will be played twice this year, on Sept. 29 at First Energy Stadium on the Cleveland lakefront and on Nov. 17 at Paul Brown Stadium in downtown Cincinnati.Football fans at Ohio State will proudly wear scarlet and gray on Saturday afternoons in support of the Buckeyes, but the brown and orange many wear the next day depends on where they are from, and which Ohio team they are rooting for. read more

Read More »

Redknapp annoyed by Walcotts performance

first_imgJamie Redknapp couldn’t understand why Everton wasn’t using Theo Walcott more in the derby game against Liverpool as when the winger finally started to be used, the Reds had big problems.Ragnar Klavan was playing as a full-back against Walcott but the Toffees weren’t able to take an advantage of the fact that the Estonia international isn’t used to this kind of position and didn’t use Walcott properly throughout the game.The former Liverpool player insisted that he didn’t understand this as he said, according to hitc.com:divock origi, liverpoolReport: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…“It was the right side. All game, none of us could understand why they couldn’t come down this side. Klavern isn’t a left-back and it took until 84 minutes until they gave it to Walcott. It drove me mad! It was like a different Everton team for the last 15 minutes.”“I’m not digging him out but the amount of time Walcott could have made an angle, it was really frustrating to watch.”last_img read more

Read More »

Zlatan on Alphonso Davies If hes going to Bayern then hes

first_imgZlatan Ibrahimovic is expecting great things from Alphonso Davies once he moves to Bayern MunichThe 17-year-old winger sealed a move to the Bundesliga champions in the summer transfer window and will join his new team once Vancouver Whitecaps’ MLS campaign comes to an end in the winter.And Ibrahimovic was left impressed by what he saw after going up against Davies in Galaxy’s 3-0 win over Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday.“If he’s going to Bayern, then he’s a good player,” said the 37-year-old on the Bundesliga website.“They don’t choose bad players, especially young ones. At a club like Bayern, he will learn a lot. If they saw something, they saw something big, because they don’t get anyone just like that.”Ibrahimovic, who has played for the likes of Ajax, Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United, feels that the young Canadian should not feel intimidated by the star players at Bayern.Jadon SanchoMerson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“I just hope he’s ready when he goes there,” he said.“Because when he arrives he will be lonely and the competition will be big, so he needs to be mentally strong. And when he sees the big players, not show too much respect.“You’re going there for a reason, because you’re part of the team. Then it’s up to him to do the rest, so I see a bright future!”Zlatan Ibrahimovic gives advice to Alphonso Davies ahead of his move to Bayern. pic.twitter.com/DRmH4J1nuh— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) September 30, 2018last_img read more

Read More »

Nikiski Man Arrested For An Active Federal Warrant

first_imgAccording to the online trooper dispatch, Joshua L. Kushner, age 38 of Nikiski, had an active federal warrant for his arrest. Further investigation revealed Kushner provided a false name to AST when contacted. Kushner was arrested for False Information and the active warrant. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Alaska State Troopers arrested a Nikiski man early this morning on an active federal warrant and providing false information to an officer. Kushner was transported to the Wildwood Pretrial Facility where he was remanded and held without bail. At approximately 2 a.m.,, AST contacted a subject on N. Miller Loop Road, Nikiski for a motorist assist.last_img read more

Read More »

KPBSD Contract Negotiations Set To Reconvene On Tuesday

first_imgFacebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Teachers and staff from the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District are once again stepping up to the bargaining table in hopes of reaching a contract agreement prior to the start of the new school year. Members of the Kenai Peninsula Education Association (KPEA) and the Kenai Peninsula Educational Support Association (KPESA) voted on May 22 to authorize a strike over rising healthcare costs. The strike will take place this fall unless an agreement can be reached with the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District. Both the Kenai Peninsula Education Association and the Kenai Peninsula Educational Support Association have been in negotiations with the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District since February of 2018 prior to their contracts expiring on July 1. David Brighton, KPEA President: “We have three sticking points with the District. The first is that we need to remove the healthcare cap. The second is we can’t agree with the district who says we’ll sign off on a contract now and figure the details out at the healthcare committee later. We need to know what the healthcare benefits are going forward. And finally we need to be sure that employees will take home a paycheck and not be forced to write a check to the district for the cost for their healthcare.” Currently talks at the bargaining table have stalled over rising healthcare costs, but according to Jesse Bjorkman Kenai Peninsula Education Association Bargaining Spokesman negotiations are expected to reconvene on Tuesday at 10am.last_img read more

Read More »