Fugitive Djoko Tjandra returns, files case review without AGO’s knowledge

first_imgThe AGO has been hunting for Djoko for years – but to no avail. Burhanuddin said he had previously received information that Djoko had been spotted in Malaysia and Singapore.Burhanuddin said he had instructed his officers to immediately arrest Djoko as he was expecting him to come to the hearing on Monday. “We’ve been looking for him for three days, but we haven’t found him yet.”Read also: President weighs in on Djoko Tjandra sagaDjoko was involved in the Bank Bali scandal, which saw hundreds of billions of rupiah embezzled from state bailout funds for the 1998 Asian financial crisis. He was acquitted in 2000 but later convicted in 2009 after the AGO filed a request for review.The Supreme Court convicted both Djoko and former Bank Indonesia governor Syahril Sabirin and sentenced them to two years’ imprisonment each for misusing Bank Indonesia Liquidity Support (BLBI) funds in the case. The court ordered Djoko to pay Rp 546 billion (US$54 million) in restitution to the state for illegally disbursing the funds to the bank in 1999.Djoko, however, fled Indonesia on a chartered flight from Halim Perdanakusumah Airport in Jakarta to Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea (PNG) on June 10, 2009, just a day before the Supreme Court issued its verdict on the AGO’s request for review.Then-PNG Ambassador to Indonesia Peter Ilau confirmed on July 12, 2009, that Djoko had obtained PNG citizenship.The AGO suspected that Djoko had falsified legal documents when applying for PNG citizenship, as Djoko was a fugitive and would have concealed information during his application process.Indonesia has no extradition treaty with PNG.South Jakarta District Court spokesperson Suharno confirmed to kompas.com that Djoko had not attended the hearing on Monday. He had reportedly claimed to be sick.Topics : Burhanuddin said the office had not received any information about Djoko’s arrival in the country before learning that he had come to the South Jakarta District Court on June 8 to file his case review.He said Djoko had reportedly been in Indonesia for the past three months.”Honestly, this is a result our intelligence weaknesses. That’s the fact. I asked the court, and they said [the case review] was filed through an integrated service that had no identity control,” he said in the hearing.He said the AGO would discuss the issue with the Immigration Office to establish the details of the graft convict’s arrival in Indonesia. Burhanuddin believed that Djoko should not have been able to enter the country freely because of his status as a fugitive. Djoko Soegiarto Tjandra, a fugitive in the high-profile Bank Bali corruption case, returned to the country and filed a case review against his conviction with the South Jakarta District Court in early June, the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) has said.The graft convict was scheduled to attend his own case review submission hearing at the court on Monday, Attorney General ST Burhanuddin said. Djoko did not appear.Burhanuddin told members of House of Representatives Commission III overseeing legal affairs in a hearing on Monday that the AGO was tracking down the fugitive.last_img read more

Read More »

Aguero pens new City deal

first_img “There has always been this speculation, but I certainly never pay much attention to it. “People hear this stuff flying around and they take it seriously, but I can tell the fans and everyone at City to relax – I’m going to be here until I see out my contract.” Aguero joined City from Atletico Madrid in 2011 and quickly established himself as a fans’ favourite, writing his name into the club’s history books by scoring the dramatic title-clinching winner against QPR in his first season. “Each year, I aim to better the previous one,” he added. “Last season was incredible but I’m not just satisfied with two Premier League titles – I want more and I can achieve them here alongside my team-mates. “This club is special; the fans, the stadium, the staff, the atmosphere, the new facility we’re moving into – everything! “We have enjoyed lots of success and some incredible moments, but the overall vision for the future and where we are going are the reasons why I wanted to stay here – to win trophies and to keep making history through my best years.” City manager Manuel Pellegrini spoke earlier in the evening of his ambition to add the Champions League trophy to the club’s growing collection of silverware. Pellegrini enjoyed a superb first season at the Etihad Stadium, winning both the Premier League and the Capital One Cup. The club confirmed at the end of their ‘City Live’ season launch party that 26-year-old Argentina striker had signed a deal which would keep him at the Etihad Stadium until 2019, joining captain Vincent Kompany and playmaker David Silva in doing so. “The reality seems to be that ever since I came here, during every close season, there have always been rumours suggesting that I might be returning to Spain,” Aguero said on www.mcfc.co.uk. Sergio Aguero has become the third Manchester City player this week to sign a fresh five-year contract with the Barclays Premier League champions. It was the club’s second league success in three years, while they also won the FA Cup in 2011. City are now preparing to begin a new campaign and making a mark in Europe is high on the agenda. Pellegrini, speaking after being named 2013-14 rookie of the year at ‘City Live’, said: “We won the title last year, but we need to win the title this year. “We won two titles – the Capital One Cup and the Premier League, but I think there is space where we can put a third one – with two big ears. We are going to do our best to give you the same season this year.” City, who begin their title defence at Newcastle on Sunday, are again rated as favourites, with Chelsea also among the front-runners. Pellegrini is looking forward to the challenge. The Chilean said: “Four or five teams are very strong and will have better squads this year than last year. I think we will also have a better squad. We will not fear Chelsea or any other team.” City earlier on Thursday confirmed the exit of midfielder Javi Garcia to Zenit St Petersburg on a four-year contract. The move, thought to be worth around £12million, ends a two-year spell at the Etihad Stadium for the Spaniard, who joined from Benfica for £15.8million. Playing for former Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas made the prospect of a move to Zenit particularly appealing to Garcia. He told Zenit’s website: “I spoke to him on the phone several times. He is one of the main reasons why I came to St Petersburg. Andre talked a lot about the project of the club and I believe that we can achieve a lot together.” Garcia, now 27, was signed by City under former manager Roberto Mancini but never became a regular starter for the Italian or his successor Pellegrini, and there seemed scant prospect of that changing in the new campaign. His departure follows the £10million exit of fellow midfielder Jack Rodwell to Sunderland earlier this month. City effectively have a replacement for Garcia in the squad, having signed Fernando from Porto in June. Eliaquim Mangala, Willy Caballero, Frank Lampard, Bruno Zuculini and Bacary Sagna are the other new faces in the champions’ squad. As well as Aguero, Kompany and Silva penning new five-year deals, Samir Nasri and Aleksandar Kolarov agreed fresh terms earlier this summer. And striker Edin Dzeko, who is in the final year of his current deal, has suggested he could be the next to re-sign. The 28-year-old, signed from Wolfsburg for £27m in 2011, has previously spoken of his desire to stay and now it seems negotiations with the club are progressing well. The Bosnia and Herzegovina international, who scored 26 goals last season, told German magazine Kicker: “We are currently talking about a new contract. “It looks very good in terms of staying here a bit longer. “I have been here for nearly four years now, and feel better and better. I will give my all to show what I can do. “The second half of last season was the best I had in my entire time here and I want to draw on that. “I want to get better every year, to score even more goals. I am 28 – my best time is now.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More »

Loose uncapped Holder on England, urges former Test opener

first_imgBRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) — Former Test opener Philo Wallace has urged West Indies tour selectors to hand Chemar Holder his debut in the first Test against England next month, contending the uncapped speedster can shock England and lay the foundation for a series win.The 49-year-old, who played seven Tests and 33 One-Day Internationals, argued Holder should be made part of a four-pronged pace attack including Captain Jason Holder, Kemar Roach, and Alzarri Joseph, pointing out he was “sharp and ready”.“I think the exciting thing about this squad is we have fast bowlers. We have fast bowlers – I’m not putting anything else – and to hear the bowling coach [Roddy Estwick] when he speaks about the excitement of these fast bowlers is wonderful,” Wallace said.“My excitement is going to be Chemar Holder and I hope they don’t keep him in cotton wool. I hope that he starts because he and Alzarri Joseph are the future of our bowling and we need to get them in as quickly as possible.“They won an Under-19 World Cup together [in 2016] – Chemar went up as a replacement and everybody wanted to know why he wasn’t there from the beginning. He went up in the end and showed his class.“He’s been an investment in Barbados and West Indies cricket, and I think the time is right now to showcase him. He’s sharp and he’s ready, and I think someone like him would shock the Englishmen.“I know Shannon [Gabriel] is in the reserves and I think that he would be the 15th man.”Chemar Holder proved outstanding in the recent first-class championship, snatching 36 wickets at just under 19 runs apiece for champions Barbados Pride, to emerge as the leading fast bowler in the tournament.The 22-year-old bowled with pace and aggression in tandem with the likes of Test seamer Kemar Roach and his performances saw him force his way into the 14-man squad for the three-Test series which bowls off in Southampton on July 8.Wallace said along with the four quicks he would also include off-spinning all-rounders Roston Chase and Rahkeem Cornwall in the final XI for the opening Test – a move designed to also boost the Windies’ batting.“You’re looking at five batsmen, but when you look at those six bowlers, four out of those six bowlers can bat so you’re actually playing nine or 10 batsmen,” Wallace pointed out.“It’s time Cornwall recognises his ability as a batsman. I know he’s only played a few Test matches but we have to give him the confidence that he can go out there and bat.”West Indies are wrapping up quarantine at Old Trafford after arriving in England two weeks ago for cricket’s first-ever biosecure series, amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.Following quarantine, they will continue to train in isolation from the public for another two weeks ahead of the first Test. All three Tests are being played behind closed doors to mitigate the spread of the virus.Wallace argued that the isolation measures implemented for the series could actually work to the tourists’ advantage.“I think West Indies can win this series. I think the four weeks they have been quarantined at Old Trafford is going to do them wonderfully well,” explained Wallace.“Mind you, some of the players – or most of the players have been playing four-day cricket before COVID-19 caused that to stop…but I think that the team will bond.“We have young men that have played cricket together and we have senior guys who have played together…there’s a good gel, a good mixture and I think the camaraderie will definitely be there.“So this confinement is really going to help West Indies to really bring that bond and that brotherly love together, and that togetherness quite quickly.”last_img read more

Read More »

Errani beats Svitolina to reach Dubai final

first_imgDUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP):Sara Errani of Italy, advanced to her second Dubai Tennis Championships final with a 6-4, 6-4 win over 21st-ranked Elina Svitolina of Ukraine yesterday.The 22nd-ranked Errani was a 2013 finalist, losing to Petra Kvitova of Czech Republic.The match was a one hour, 51-minute battle of long rallies and games, featuring eight service breaks.Errani prevailed with a final break in the ninth game of the first set and seventh game of the second set.”It was really tough,” said Errani, who will seek her ninth WTA title. “Every point, every game was really long. It’s unbelievable for me to be playing in another final”.Errani will play the winner of the semi-final between 38th-ranked Caroline Garcia of France and 47th-ranked Barbora Strycova of Czech Republic.last_img read more

Read More »

Edwards bringing back its air show

first_img NASA’s Dryden Flight Research Center will participate in the flying demonstrations with four NASA aircraft – a modified F-15B, an F/A-18 jet, a T-34, and an ER-2, a civilian environmental research version of the U-2 spy plane. Dryden aircraft on display will include the B-52B “mothership” used to launch research aircraft, including the X-15 rocket planes and, more recently, the record-setting X-43 scramjet and the Apollo-era Lunar Lander Research Vehicle. A full-scale mock-up of the X-43 and replicas of NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s Mars rovers will also be on display. Also flying will be B-1 and B-52 bombers, the F/A-22 Raptor fighter jet, and the N9M, Jack Northrop’s first flying wing. Other aircraft scheduled to fly include a World War II P-38 Lightning, the F-16 fighters, the C-17 cargo aircraft, and two Korean War jets – the U.S. F-86 fighter and the Soviet MiG 15. The Army precision parachute team the Golden Knights will make two performances each day of the open house. Jim Skeen, (661) 267-5743 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Retired Brig. Gen. Charles “Chuck” Yeager will be flying in this year’s event, but unlike in years past he won’t be flying an F-15 fighter jet. Instead, Yeager will be flying a P-51 Mustang, the same type of fighter he flew in combat during World War II. After the opening sonic boom, Yeager will be participating in a one-of-a-kind flyby with the P-51, the F/A-22 Raptor and an F-16. The open house will have about one mile of aircraft displays. Among them will be aircraft representing the Air Force’s future, including the X-45A, a forerunner of a future unmanned combat craft; the Osprey tilt-rotor transport; and the Global Hawk reconnaissance aircraft, a robot plane used over Iraq and Afghanistan. Among the highlights will be “Tora Tora Tora,” a pyrotechnic show using vintage World War II aircraft to re-enact the Dec. 7, 1941, bombing of Pearl Harbor. Another attraction will be a performance by Julie Clark, an airline pilot turned aerobatics pilot. Lewis described Clark’s performances as “absolutely awe-inspiring.” EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE – The U.S. Air Force’s past, present and future will be showcased this weekend at Edwards Air Force Base’s first open house and air show in two years. After last year’s event was canceled because of tight budgets and base personnel’s heavy workloads, Edwards is bouncing back this year with a two-day event. Gates will open at 7 a.m. and flying demonstrations will start at 10 a.m. both Saturday and Sunday. “Basically it’s a cast of thousands preparing for this open house,” said Maj. Carl Lewis, the public announcer for the event. “There is an air of excitement here.” The sonic boom that traditionally opens the flying portion of the event will be flown on both days by retired Maj. Gen. Joe Engle, a former X-15 rocket plane pilot and a former space shuttle astronaut. last_img read more

Read More »