Man dies under mysterious circumstances in custody

first_imgNew Delhi: A man accused in a smuggling case died under suspicious circumstances in custody of the police at Nand Nagri police station on Thursday morning.Delhi Police suspended one head constable and two constables in connection with the case. The investigating agency is waiting for the post-mortem report to ascertain the cause of death. Police identified the deceased as Govinda who lived in northeast Delhi area. He was accused of supplying illicit liquior on the basis of secret information, he was allegedly arrested with illicit liquior bottles from Nand Nagri area on Thursday. Also Read – Cylinder blast kills mother and daughter in Karawal NagarWith Govinda, his other associate Naeem was nabbed. Both were taken to the police station for further questioning. Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (North East) RP Meena said that the incident took place after 9 pm in Nand Nagri police station when the condition of Govinda started deteriorating. Later, Govinda was taken to a hospital after he fell ill, however, the doctors declared him dead, police added. The Additional DCP further stated that they suspect that the Govinda might die of some health issues but they are waiting for the postmortem report which will clear the reason behind his death. Also Read – Two persons arrested for killing manager of Muthoot FinanceThe deceased’s family alleged that Govinda was beaten up inside the police station. RP Meena said that he was not beaten up by the policemen but they have also started an inquiry in the case. “So far no role of any police personnel in death,” said RP Meena. The investigating agency has suspended Head Constable Abhishek, Constable Vishal and Constable Udhaam Singh. “They have been suspended for their procedural lapse during the registration of the case,” added RP Meena adding that magisterial enquiry in the case is in progress. The family members of the deceased said that in the morning Govinda was taken to the police station. “He was well Govinda was beaten up,” deceased’s relative said. The investigation in the case is on from different angles to get more clues in the case. Recently last month a 55-year-old man jumped to death from the balcony of Bawana police station. Police said that he was called in the police station for routine inquiry about his son’s whereabouts.last_img read more

Read More »